- General intro
We are committed to ensuring that we manage your personal data professionally and in compliance with all applicable data protection laws. Part of this commitment is to ensure that there is transparency about how we process personal data. This policy includes an explanation of:
- what data we are processing;
- why we are processing it and what we do with it;
- whether we will share it with anyone else;
- whether we will transfer it outside of the United Kingdom;
- how we keep your data safe; and
- your rights.
- Our company name is Balmer Lawn Garage Limited, and we are located at 24 Brookley Road, Brockenhurst, SO42 7RR. In this policy we have referred to Balmer Lawn Garage Limited as: we, us, our or BLG.
- BLG is an authorised retailer for: Honda, Suzuki, Isuzu and Suzuki ATV. A full list of our retail locations and our trading titles is available on our website: www.balmerlawngroup.co.uk
- For any queries concerning your data and this policy, please contact the Database Controller at the above address or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 01590 623464.
- Your personal data
We process your personal data if we understand that you may be interested in purchasing our products or services. In this section we provide more detailed information about how we will manage your personal data.
What data do we hold about you and how have we obtained this?
We will obtain information about you when you enquire about our products or services. Typically, the information that we obtain will be your contact details. If you choose to buy finance or insurance products from us or from companies that partner with us, we will need more detailed information including, in some cases, identity and personal financial information.
If you have visited our website we may automatically collect some personal information including: details of your browser and operating system, the website from which you visit our website, the pages that you visit on our website, the date of your visit, and the Internet protocol (IP) address assigned to you by your internet service. We collect some of this information using cookies – please see Cookies in section 5 for further information.
We have CCTV in operation at some of our sites for security purposes. It is therefore possible that images of you will be recorded when visiting our sites.
- Your data that we process with your consent?
Where you have consented, we:
- may provide you with marketing information about our products and services;
- will keep you informed of events that we think will be of interest to you;
Where we are required to do so to perform our contract with you, we may process your information for completing warranty work or other after-sales obligations including the provision of breakdown and recovery services.
Your data that we process in your vital interests
Where it is in your vital interests, we may use your information to organise and notify you about safety and product recall notices.
Your data that we process to comply with our legal obligations
We may process your information to comply with legal obligations including assisting HMRC, the Police, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency, the Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency and the Financial Conduct Authority.
Your data that we process to pursue our legitimate interests
We may process your information to allow us to pursue our legitimate interests including for:
- analysing our performance to further improve our customer services;
- training and to administer our websites;
- the prevention of fraud or other criminal acts;
- undertaking credit checks for finance;
- the purpose of corporate restructure or reorganisation or sale of our business or assets;
- enforcing our legal rights or to defend legal proceedings and for general administration purposes;
- contacting you about contractual changes;
- contacting you by post or phone for service, maintenance & MOT reminders or by email where you are a recent customer.
If you have purchased goods or services from us, we will keep the data relating to that purchase (e.g. order forms and invoices and related correspondence) for 7 years from the date of the contract.
CCTV images shall be kept for up to 1 month.
If you have requested that we do not send you marketing information we will always retain sufficient information to ensure that we remember to comply with your request.
The periods stated in this section may be extended if we are required by law to keep your data for a longer period.
Will we share your personal data with any third parties?
We may share your data with the relevant manufacturer of the product that you have purchased or expressed an interest in purchasing and other companies within our group.
We may disclose your information to our third-party service providers for the purposes of providing services to us or directly to you on our behalf e.g. advertising agencies or administrative service providers. When we use third party service providers, we only disclose to them any personal information that is necessary for them to provide their service and we have a contract in place that requires them to keep your information secure and not to use it other than in accordance with our specific instructions.
If we sell all or part of our business to a third party, we may transfer your information to that party to ensure that it can continue to provide information that you have requested or for any of the other purposes that we have noted above.
We may transfer your data to government or other official bodies for the purposes of complying with legal obligations, for enforcing our rights, or for the prevention or detection of a crime.
If we transfer your information outside of the UK in this way, we will take steps to ensure that appropriate security measures are taken with the aim of ensuring that your privacy rights continue to be protected. These measures include imposing contractual obligations on the recipient of your personal information or ensuring that the recipients are subscribed to ‘international frameworks’ that aim to ensure adequate protection. Please contact us if you would like more information about the protections that we put in place.
If you use our services whilst you are outside the UK, your information may be transferred outside the UK to provide you with those services.
- We will keep your data until you tell us otherwise
You can find out more about the Cookies we use in our Cookies Policy available on the home page of our website.
You can set your browser not to accept cookies, however some of our website features may not function as a result.
For more information about cookies generally and how to disable them you can visit: www.allaboutcookies.org.
We have adopted appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the personal data we collect and use having regard to the state of the art, the nature of the data stored and the risks to which the data is exposed to human action or the physical or natural environment. However, as effective as our security measures are, no security system is impenetrable. We cannot guarantee the security of our database.
The transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Links to other websites
Your right to access data
We always aim to be as open as we can and allow people access to their personal information. Where we hold your personal data, you can make a ‘subject access request’ to us and we will provide you with:
- a description of it;
- an explanation of why we are holding it;
- information about who it could be disclosed to; and
- a copy of the information in an intelligible form – unless an exception to the disclosure requirements is applicable.
- If you would like to make a ‘subject access request’ please make it in writing by email to email@example.com or by post to our Database Controller at the address shown in the ‘About Us’ section and mark it clearly as ‘Subject Access Request’.
- If you agree, we will try to deal with your request informally, for example by providing you with the specific information you need over the telephone.
- Unless you agree a different time, we will complete your subject access request within one month.
Your right to stop marketing messages
You always have the right to stop marketing messages. We will usually include an unsubscribe button in any marketing e-mails. If you do wish to unsubscribe, please just click the unsubscribe button and we will promptly action that request. For text messages, please text back STOP to unsubscribe. Alternatively, you can update your marketing preferences by contacting us at any-time – our contact details are shown in the ‘About Us’ section above.
Right to be forgotten
If we hold personal data about you, but it is no longer necessary for the purposes that it was collected and cannot otherwise be justified – you have the right to request that we delete the data.
Right to restrict data
If we hold personal data about you and you believe it is inaccurate you have the right to request us to restrict the data until it is verified. You also have the right to request that the data is restricted where you have a right to it being deleted but would prefer that it is restricted.
Transferring your personal data
Where we rely on your consent as the legal basis for processing your personal information or need to process it in connection with your contract, you may ask us to provide you with a copy of that information in a structured data file. We will provide this to you electronically in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable form, such as a CSV or XL file.
You can ask us to send your personal information directly to another service provider, and we will do so if this is technically possible. We may not provide you with a copy of your personal information if this concerns other individuals or we have another lawful reason to withhold that information
Right to complain
You always have the right to complain to the personal data regulator, the ICO.
This policy was last updated on 25 May 2018
Providing information to us
If you are under 16 please do not provide us with any personal information unless you have the permission of your parent or guardian to do so.
You are responsible for informing us of any change in your details, such as a change of address. You have a right to ask us to correct any inaccuracies in the information we hold about you.
You have a right to ask what information we hold about you.
CREDIT/DEBIT CARD DATA SECURITY
We consider the security of your data to be of the highest priority and for this reason we do not store details of your credit or debit cards.
Online purchases can be made using PayPal. Where this involves a repeat transaction, we will request payment from your PayPal account using a unique reference number, eliminating the possibility of any details falling into the wrong hands in the unlikely event the transaction could be intercepted before it reached PayPal.